Steps to take if you are in Motorcycle Accident
Accidents of any kind tend to happen when you are least expecting them. Maybe it’s your usual commute that you drive every day, or maybe you’re just running a quick errand. If you want to know what to do after a motorcycle accident, there are some critical steps to take in order to assist your claim. The moments after an accident are essential and can impact your future legal actions and rights. Here are the most important steps you should take immediately following a motorcycle accident.
- Get to safety – If you are able to, remove yourself from harm’s way. Get off the road and out of traffic. Please note – When getting yourself out of harm’s way, do NOT remove any protective gear. We know you will be in shock and the adrenaline may be preventing you from feeling any pain or injuries. Always keep this in mind and wait for paramedics to arrive before you remove your helmet and other gear to avoid exacerbating injuries.
- Call 911 – Once you are in a safe location, call 911 to report the accident. Be sure to take down the responding officers’ names and badge numbers. This will help your attorney follow up to collect any necessary information for your claim (if need be).
- Collect Contact Information – Once the police arrive, get contact information. Exchange information with anyone else involved in the crash. Get the name, address, phone number, insurance information, and license numbers for all drivers. Take a photo of the vehicles, and write down the license plate numbers, car make and models, and a description of any vehicles involved in the accident.
- Seek medical attention – It is always important to get the necessary medical treatment after an accident. First of all, this is critical to your well-being. You need and want to get better, and the best way to ensure you receive a full recovery is to seek medical treatment and follow the doctor’s advice. Another reason why this is important is that it helps prove your injuries and damages.
- Call Your Insurance Agent – Call your insurance agent as soon as you can after your motorcycle accident. Be prepared to offer them all of the information you have gathered for a streamlined experience.
Need Motorcycle Insurance? Please feel free to get a quote online right here or give our agents a call at (724) 327-2600.
Leave a Comment